Disclaimer: We may receive a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.
Best Tricycles For 2 Year Olds Reviewed
For a toddler, riding a tricycle is something like the equivalent of flying an airplane for an adult. If you want to see a big smile come across your little daughter or son’s face, learning to ride a tricycle is right at the top of the fun meter.
As a mom with two kids that have learned to ride on our Radio Flyer Classic Tricycle, I’ve seen how this fun accomplishment can really boost their confidence.
If you are looking for one of the best best tricycles for 2 year olds, it is well worth comparing classic tricycles for kids with modern tricycles, which are very adaptive for a range of ages. Some modern designs offer convertible features designed to accommodate children less than one year old, as well as up through school age kids.
There’s no denying today’s top toddler tricycles are thoughtfully designed, but there are a number of other features that could make one tricycle better than another for your child.
You can explore all of those details below in our top 5 best kids tricycles review, but sometimes the details are easier to digest with a quick comparison chart, which we’ve also provided.
- Grows With Your Child – Classic tricycle designs were not always 2 year old friendly, but a good lot of companies have caught on that parents want a one-and-done tricycle that can adapt to a variety of ages. Removable components can transform the best tricycle for a 2 year old into the best tricycle for a 4 year old as well.
- Folding – Kids Tricycles that can fold are great for smaller storage needs and easy traveling when you want to place the tricycle in a vehicle. That’s not going to be remotely possible with classic solid tricycle designs, but there is a potential downside. All those moving parts can pose weak spots to kids that play rough with their toys, and might eventually fail where a classic design would last for many more years.
- Safety – Young toddlers can be a little off balance when they first hop onto a tricycle. Some of the better models provide for kids under the 2 year mark with guard rails and buckles that support your child much like a stroller would. And as your children grow, these safety features can be removed making the kids tricycle more appropriate for your child’s age.
- Build Quality – There is just no getting around the fact that the old-school classic tricycles are super rugged. For kids that want to play rough-and-tumble with their kids tricycle, the classic steel designs are likely going to be your best bet. With that said, some of the modern models are quite durable as well despite having more moving parts.
Top Tricycles For 2 Year Olds Comparison
Best Tricycles For 2 Year Olds
When it comes to value, it doesn’t get much better than a 4-in1 tricycle for 2-year olds. Having a single piece of equipment that can transform into 4 different tricycles to suit ages from 9 months all the way to 5 years is a fantastic value and certainly one of the highlights of the Radio Flyer Deluxe EZ Fold 4-in-1 Stroll ‘N Trike.
Since it grows with your child, you only need to purchase a single tricycle and you won’t need to replace it for at least five years. It’s surprisingly quiet in all of its modes and even has some customizable parts such as a removable footrest or a parent pouch.
It even comes with a canopy that protects your child from UV rays, making it a great outdoor option.
We can also compliment this Radio Flyer Deluxe tricycle for its foldable design. This isn’t that common when it comes to tricycles for 2-year olds, but it’s certainly a fantastic feature if you don’t have much space and need to store it somewhere indoors.
It’s also a great feature to have if your shed is a little small and you need to keep it as compact as possible. Of course, this does somewhat compromise the sturdiness of the design because it’s got more foldable and moving parts, but we found that it’s sturdy enough for most uses unless your child is particularly rough with it.
In short, this is a fantastic choice for any parent that wants to purchase their child a tricycle from a young age. Since it can grow with your child, you’re going to get a brilliant purchase that lasts a long time assuming that you keep it in good condition.
The only flaw we can point out is the lack of color options and the build quality which isn’t as solid as a standalone classic tricycle. Despite this, it’s still a tremendous value and worthwhile consideration when versatility is needed.
This video explores all the features of the Radio Flyer Deluxe EZ Fold Kids Tricycle:
- 4 TRICYCLES IN 1: This tricycle grows with your child through different riding stages. Easily convert between 4 growing stages by removing the accessories
- COMPACT EASY FOLD: The unique folding mechanism allows this trike to easily fold for storage in one easy step
- AGES 9 MONTHS TO 5 YEARS: The 4 stages include toddler trike (9 mos. – 18 mos.), steering trike (18 mos. – 24 mos.), learn-to-ride trike (2 – 3 yrs.), and classic trike (4 – 5 yrs.)
- REMOVABLE ACCESSORIES: The removable accessories allow this tricycle to grow with your child. The accessories include an adjustable UV protection canopy, parent pouch, seat pad, wrap around tray, headrest and seat belt, foot rest, and parent push handle
- GREAT FOR OUTDOOR USE: UV protection canopy protects from the sun. High density foam tires provide a quiet and smooth ride
The Schwinn Roadster Tricycle is a metal tricycle that is perfect for 2-year olds due to its size, comfortable seat and sturdy construction. This definitely isn’t going to break or even get damaged with regular use thanks to the surprisingly solid materials used.
However, this also makes it quite heavy which could be a problem if you’re worried about your child falling over or accidentally bumping into it. It’s an unlikely scenario, but still something worth considering as it is made from full heavy-duty steel.
The tricycle itself is incredibly well-built and the seat is adjustable to fit children of different sizes. Although it might seem a little large for smaller 2-year olds, the seat can be moved into a different position to suit your child better and then pulled back as your child grows bigger.
It’s also worth mentioning that it does take up a considerable amount of space due to its size. It can’t be folded or disassembled quickly which means that you’ll need a dedicated space in your home to store it. This can be problematic for some families, so make sure you have enough space to store it.
The Schwinn Roadster Tricycle even comes in several different colors which are fantastic for offering a bit of personalization.
To conclude, the Schwinn Roadster Tricycle is a great choice for 2-year olds. It’s a brilliant tricycle with surprisingly good build quality, many color variations and an adjustable seat to make it suitable for kids of different ages and sizes. The only minor negative we can point out is the sheer weight of the tricycle compared to alternatives.
- Tricycle or Trike is easy to ride, low center of gravity. Perfect for first bike for young riders, The adjust able seat, fits 3 to 5 years
- Adjustable sculpted seat has 5 positions so it moves forwards and backwards for growing legs or different family members.
- Chrome finish handlebars with tassels and bell make this a great gift and a family photo moment.
- Full-steel heavy-duty construction with fenders, real wood deck with etched-in logo. It will last and look great.
- Classic Schwinn styling and details, detail painted fenders, chrome look emblems and wrapped grips
The Schwinn Easy Steer Tricycle is a slightly cheaper version of the Schwinn Roadster Tricycle. Designed to also be suitable for 2-year olds and older, it’s a heavy-duty tricycle with removable parts and even a bin to store toys and other little supplies.
The front has a small basket which is perfect for snacks or a drink and there’s even a handle for parents to push the tricycle while their 2-year old is on it. The wheels also offer a surprising amount of cushioning given how cheap they look, making for a smooth and enjoyable ride for your kids.
As a tricycle that can be controlled by an adult, we feel like this is a good choice if you’re concerned about the safety of your child when they’re first learning on their tricycle. If your child is still quite young or if you don’t particularly trust them to ride off on their own, then an adult-controlled tricycle like the Schwinn Easy Steer Tricycle is a fantastic choice.
We can also complement the sturdy wheelbase which makes the tricycle difficult to topple, useful if a sibling is pushing the child or if they enjoy playing a little more roughly with their tricycle.
One potential concern could be the build quality of some of the attachments. Although the tricycle itself feels incredibly sturdy thanks to the high-quality materials, we can’t imagine the plastic accoutrements will last a very long time if your child likes to play rough with their toys.
Any tricycle will show signs of wear and tear from bumps and regular use, and don’t be surprised when this tricycle itself starts to show signs of wear and tear. Overall, it’s a great-value tricycle that offers parents extra peace of mind, but it might not be the best investment if you’re interested in a tricycle that will remain entirely intact over several years.
- Heavy duty tricycle frame with steering system
- Removable push / steer handle allows adults to control steering and speed while walking comfortably
- Wide EVA tires
- Gravity lock dump bin to bring along toys, or supplies
If you’re looking for another multi-functional tricycle for 2-year olds, then the Little Tikes Perfect Fit 4-in-1 Trike might be the best option. It comes in three unique colors which makes it suitable for both boys and girls, and it’s a transformable tricycle that has four different “modes”. It even offers a full overhead canopy that can protect your child from strong sun or light rain.
As a 4-in-1 tricycle, the Little Tikes Perfect Fit 4-in-1 Trike has plenty of adjustable features that can be used in many ways. For instance, the seat can be slid back to make more room for larger children and it even comes with a longer handlebar so that parents can control their children while they’re on the tricycle.
The seat itself is made from a comfortable molded plastic that is comfortable and even helps to protect your children from injury. Thanks to these customizable features and extra additions, parents will love the ability to quickly transform it from a pushchair to a fully-fledged tricycle that the kids love using.
However, we can’t say much about the overall durability of this tricycle. As with any transformable tricycle for 2-year olds, you have to keep in mind that extra moving parts and sliding bits can eventually get worn out from regular use.
The 4-in-1 functionality also isn’t as exciting as you might think it is. While it does offer many storage options and your kids can treat it as their own little vehicle, the many different parts of this tricycle do feel a little cheap in comparison to other tricycles at this price point. Of course, it’s still a great-value purchase that comes in several unique colors and your kids will love using it.
- 4-stage pink toddler trike grows with your child and is perfect for on-the-go travel
- Full shade canopy to protect child from all angles
- Adjustable seat with the flip of a switch
- Large parent storage bucket and bottle holder
- High-back seat for comfort and safety
For a more traditional-looking tricycle, the Radio Flyer Classic Dual Deck Tricycle is an incredibly study tricycle for 2-year olds. With a full steel frame, spoked wheels and rubber tires that are incredibly durable, this certainly feels like a premium product.
The front wheel even has mudguards so that the tricycle can be used in wet conditions without an issue. The chrome handlebars are solid, the seat is comfortable for children of all ages and you can even adjust it slightly so that it suits your child no matter their age or size.
One of the biggest draws to the Radio Flyer Classic Dual Deck Tricycle is in its design. It’s a retro tricycle design that simply looks great. It comes in a beautiful pink pastel and even has little tassels on the ends of the handlebars to complete the retro look. Of course, the Radio Flyer Classic Red is also an option.
In terms of functionality, it feels sturdy and could probably take quite a bit of punishment. It’s the perfect starter bike, but it’s not perfect for one reason; it only comes in two colors! Many children change their opinions on things like tricycles especially if they see that it’s in a color they don’t like. As long as your child likes pink or red, you’ll find that the Radio Flyer Classic Dual Deck Tricycle is a really worthwhile purchase.
Although it does take up a considerable amount of space, the Radio Flyer Classic Dual Deck Tricycle is a great consideration if you’re looking for the best tricycles for 2-year olds. It’s easy to set up and use, it’s slightly adjustable to suit the size and age of your child, and the components are made from quality materials. The solid feel helps it become one of the more worthwhile purchases and you’re sure to get your money’s worth.
- Steel frame, spoked wheels, and rubber tires for durability
- Adjustable seat grows with your child
- Controlled turning radius prevents tipping
- Classically styled with chrome handlebars, streamers, and ringing chrome bell
- 12” front wheel. For 2 1/2 - 5 years