Disclaimer: We may receive a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.
Best High Chairs For Toddlers Reviewed
Going toe-to-toe with a self-feeding toddler is no joke. Feeding time can quickly devolve into an all-out food fight!
Along with food scattered on floors and smeared on clothes, your toddler’s fine cuisine will also get thoroughly mashed into your high chair.
Thankfully manufacturers know that the best high chairs for toddlers have to be easy to clean, comfortable, safe, and generally easy for parents to use and maintain.
There are a lot of good options on the market so Mommy On Demand went and did the heavy lifting for you.
Before you scoop up any old high chair for your toddler, you might be surprised with the number of features that are worth considering. Your mind would be blown by veteran moms who go into excruciating detail about their great convertible high chair, or a particularly nice folding high chair for small spaces. Like I said… there is a lot to consider.
It’s also important to recognize that you’ll be using your high chair for a few years. Not only do you need a baby highchair, but you need a toddler high chair that will potentially withstand the rigors of more than one child.
Top Toddler High Chairs Features To Consider
There are a number of different factors that you should consider when you are searching for a high chair. This includes the following…
- Comfort – You are going to want your baby to remain seated for a good period of time. They are not going to want to do this if the high chair is not comfortable. Think about how roomy the seat is. You may also want to consider whether there is a footrest. Seat padding adds to the comfort factor but could also make the high chair harder to clean.
- Easy Cleaning – Teaching your toddler how to self-feed is a messy task. If this is your first go at it, you should know that your high chair and your child’s mouth will likely see equal quantities of food. While your toddler can go take a tub, some high chair models are not so easily cleaned.
- JPMA certification – It is a good idea to see if the high chair is JPMA certified. JPMA stands for Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association. If a high chair has this seal of approval, it means it is one of the safest out there.
- Ease of Use– Getting your child in and out of the high chair is going to be one of your main concerns. There are a combination of features that contribute to this aspect, and you will be able to get a better picture of that by reading our high chair reviews. You should look at different features like seat straps that buckle and unbuckle easily, or a tray that can be removed with one hand.
Top High Chairs For Toddlers Comparison
Best High Chairs For Toddlers
Versatile, multi-functional and ultra-comfortable, the Siesta is excellent from birth right through your child’s toddler years. Siesta has the Peg Perego Comfort Recline System that transforms the high chair into a cozy recliner. So even your newborn infant can join you at the dinner table!
It can be used as a comfortable recliner and, later on, as a chair when your child can sit upright at the table with adults. That’s really a big advantage since you essentially have two child seat products in one. You have more room, and the house is not cluttered by too many baby seats.
The seat pad features a faux leather fabric that is quite easy to wipe clean, but you’ll want to keep up with it. For those really messy meals you’ll likely find a soapy cloth makes for a quick cleanup. And when a deep clean is needed the seat cushion can be removed and machine washed.
Beyond easy cleaning, the padding is definitely comfortable and nicely accommodates your baby as he/she grows and the seat needs to adjust accordingly.
This is the only folding model we reviewed and it makes this high chair super convenient to store out of the way. When folded, Siesta is incredibly compact, free-standing, and handy to carry wherever you need it. Its a big plus for this toddler high chair.
You can move the Siesta high chair all around the house very safely thanks to its non-scratch wheels, which avoid damaging your flooring. And also securely due to the innovative Peg Perego patented Stop & Go braking system, that can only be operated by an adult.
Two “sibling safe” manual controls unblock the wheels, so the high chair can be moved with ease. When the controls are released, the high chair is blocked once more from unintended movement.
Safety is ensured by the 5-point safety harness (that grows with your child) and the crotch strap.
At The Table
Being able to have your child at the table with Mum and Dad is great fun with Siesta. Its height can be adjusted to 9 positions and its double tray can be removed. So the Peg Perego Siesta can be used as a comfortable chair at the table when your child is older, or as a friendly baby highchair in the younger days.
Meal times transition nicely into playtime thanks to the practical net storage basket on the backrest. You can keep your babies favorite toys close at hand, so everyone else can finish their meal.
When meal time turns into naptime, the backrest can fully recline while also extending the foot forwards at the same time, turning the high chair into a welcoming recliner for relaxing naps.
Overall we highly recommend this high chair if you are shopping for the best high chair for toddlers. But we also considered that this is a terrific high chair for newborns when we made our selection.
Here is a great video showcasing the Peg Perego Siesta Highchair:
- Made In Italy. Comfort recline seat that fully reclines in the most comfortable resting angle for baby
- Five reclining seat positions; Nine different height positions; Footrest: Three-position, adjustable footrest.
- Easy to Clean: Eco-friendly leather upholstery is stain resistant, durable, easy to remove and can be wiped clean with a damp cloth. Inlcudes dishwasher-safe tray liner
- Mar-resistant caster wheels automatically lock for safety. Five point safety harness and passive restraint bar
- Extremely compact, Folded: 11.66 x 33.66 Inches, Unfolded: 29.16 x 23.5 x 41.16 Inches
The Boon Flair is a striking highchair that certainly has the wow factor. With some handy features it’s well designed and offers a contemporary and unique look while remaining a fairly affordable product.
Boon is an American company making innovative, stylish baby products and toddler gear. The Flair is a moulded, seamless highchair that reflects the company’s modern style.
Perched on a large, round pedestal base, the curvy chair is crack and crevice-free, which makes it super easy to clean. Wiping the chair with a wet soapy cloth or disinfectant wipes works like a charm.
The removable food tray is put on and taken off using a release handle found under the tray. The tray can be used in two positions. A clear plastic insert (dishwasher-safe) slots onto top of the tray to protect it and keep it clean. A curved ‘restraining post’ stops your child from sliding forward.
The USP of the Flair is that the seat height is adjustable – a pneumatic lift system allows for continuous height adjustment so that the seat can be positioned to fit perfectly under a table, or at the height you need. To adjust, you just use your foot to press down on the button on the base unit then pull up, or push down on the arms to change the height.
Made from plastics entirely free from BPA, Phthalates, and PVC, the Boon Flair helps your child avoid potentially risky compounds during feeding times. The chair features a chemical-resistant, waterproof seat pad, so fluids won’t absorb and stain the seat.
A 5-point harness completes the set up, while moving the highchair from room-to-room is simple. To move the highchair, you can hold the handle at the top of the seat and tip it backwards onto the rollers – it can then be rolled either backwards or forwards.
Suitable from 6 months (or when your baby can hold their head up) to around 4 years, the Flair accommodates children of up to 22.7kg/50lb.
- Fits easily under tables with pedestal base
- Glides smoothly in all directions
- Five-point harness and safety post
- Six urethane casters to protect floors. One tray liner included
- Care-clean restraint system straps and buckles using a soft cloth with warm water and mild soap
It flies in the face of our advice to shop for modern, metal or plastic highchairs but there’s an exception to every rule, and Abiie ’s Beyond Wooden Highchair is simply too good to leave off this list of our top 5 highchairs.
This sleek and sophisticated highchair boasts a very attractive frame that’s built from eco-friendly, European Beech and a super soft cushion that will keep your little one comfy for hours at a time.
We’re a big fan of the overall aesthetic, and we’re also really sold on the versatility of the unit, which offers some really unique adjustment options. The strength and stability of the Beyond are on a par with premium metal options too, so you don’t need to worry about your child’s safety.
As mentioned above, one of the best things about the Beyond is its patented adjustment mechanism. The seat base is designed to slide out with the push of a single button, and you can then re-position it to sit in one of many carved grooves in the seat’s legs.
This allows you raise or lower the cushion in about 20 seconds (and yes, we did time ourselves doing it just to make sure); transforming the whole unit from high chair to toddler-friendly seat in less time than it takes to brew a pot of coffee.
We’re also a big fan of the fact that Abiie have built the chair to work with either a 3- or 5-point harness, giving you plenty of options, and making sure that your child is kept nice and safe no matter their size.
The whole system is incredibly easy to use, and you don’t need any tools either. There are plenty of different height options too, which means that you can actually use the chair from the 6 month mark, right through to age 7.
According to the instruction manual, the whole thing has also been treated using a unique pressurizing process that makes it very resistant to bacteria. This means that you can simply wipe the whole thing down after a messy meal, and that the chair has a very long lifespan despite its wooden frame.
- EZ-Seat: The High chair can be transformed to any height position to use as a Toddlers chair or as a traditional dinning chair for all ages, all within less than 20 seconds! It's economical and instantly provides an extra chair to your home when needed. No tools needed for adjustment
- Warranty: 3 year Manufacturer’s Warranty included with optional low cost 1/2/3 years extended protection plans
- Dual Restraint System: The restraint system can be adjusted for a 5-point harness or a 3-point harness, keeping your loved one secure and comfortable
- Ease of Cleaning: The chair is designed with several easy access points for parents to clean up. The stain resistant cushions make cleaning a breeze. Just a quick wipe with a damp cloth will remove any mess or dirt left by your child. The cushion is waterproof so unexpected spills aren't absorbed. The one-hand removable tray cover is dishwasher Safe
- Safety: Anti-Microbial Heat Sterilization. The High Chair wood went through a state-of-the art pressure-assisted high-temperature sterilization at 248 °F (120 ° C) ensures a hygienic environment for your child
Have you ever tried to remove a high chair tray while holding your child? One of the most helpful details for this 4moms high chair is that the tray is attached with a magnet mechanism and can be removed with one hand!
The magnetic tray easily slides into place, so connecting the tray to the seat has never been easier and safer. There are 2 tray positions that allow the tray to be in a position comfortable for your growing child.
This high chair was obviously designed with easy cleaning in mind – no fabric to clean or nooks and crannies for food to get stuck. The button on the front makes it easy to remove the tray with one hand. There is also a removable tray liner that is dishwasher safe on the top rack.
There is also a removable foam insert seat which is easy to clean. Overall, 4moms created this high chair to look sleek in almost any room and color scheme. Thankfully this high chair is very easy to clean, so it can stay looking great for years to come.
The high chair seat really puts it’s best foot forward in safety and comfort for your growing child. The sturdy and wide base provides a stable platform without looking awkward and out of place.
The straps also transition from a 5-point baby harness to a 3-point toddler harness so this chair can grow with your child and keep them safe through the early years.
The height of this toddler high chair can also be adjusted with 3 different settings. The lowest setting allows the chair to be pushed underneath the table. The high chair is available in three colors; Black/Grey, White/Grey and White/Green.
4moms designed a line of magnetic plates, bowls and utensils to go with the magnetic tray, they can be purchased separately or in a bundle as a Starter Set. The accessories are sold separately but they make mealtimes so much easier as it makes it harder for your child to drop their utensils.
- One handed, magnetic tray attachment
- Easy to clean
- Removable foam seat insert
- Dishwasher safe tray liner
- Magnetic feeding accessories available
Graco’s Blossom highchair is definitely a premium option – the plush cushioning on the base, the robust, aluminum frame and the super-stable, wrap-around base all work together to make the product look and feel like an incredibly luxurious addition to your kitchen, and there really isn’t a more stable option out there.
The seat covers are very easy to keep clean too. Idle boasts of easy-wipe fabrics are two-a-penny when it comes to baby products, but we’re pleased to report that the covers on the blossom really can be cleaned off in one or two wipes, and they’re surprisingly stain-resistant too.
Ease Of Use
Considerations of build quality and ease-of-use aside, it’s also worth noting that the Graco Blossom is incredibly versatile. In ‘highchair’ mode, the seat boasts 6 different height settings, and three different angles of recline.
The chair section can be lifted right off the legs too; providing you with a comfortable booster seat that’s perfect for little toddlers. Coupled with the small ‘youth seat’ that’s designed to act as a booster for older children, this extra functionality basically means you’re buying four seats for the price of one, which is great news for those of us looking for a long-term investment.
The youth seat and booster functionality also mean that you can technically use a single Graco blossom to seat two different children, particularly if one of them is slightly older, and fits the height requirements for the booster segment. This makes the Blossom a really good choice for big families, or forward-thinking parents.
The Blossom also features a set of really handy little wheels at the front and back of the base. Although they’re rarely mentioned in reviews or write-ups, we actually found these wheels very useful, as they make moving the chair to and from the table a real breeze.
Wheels also help to make up for the chair’s weight – which is slightly higher than other, comparable highchairs, and the lack of folding functionality. They make it easy to store the chair out of the way, and help to make life that little bit easier for those of us without a huge kitchen.
It’s this kind of attention to detail that makes the Blossom such a joy to use. Coupled with little extras like a dining tray that’s designed to be removed with one hand, they make it hard to overstate the convenience that this one-of-a-kind highchair provides, and we’d be hard pressed to recommend a more versatile product.