Disclaimer: We may receive a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.
Best Double Strollers For Toddlers Reviewed
When we make family plans for almost any outing, whether a walk, a day at the county fair, or a day at the beach, our double stroller is a crucial part of any voyage.
For a weekend away, or a family vacation, there is simply nothing better than a high quality double stroller. The best double strollers offer a lot of features that make for a comfortable ride for your kids, and a convenient buggy for all the extras.
That’s why Mommy On Demand brings you our review of 5 of the top double strollers for toddlers.
If you have more than one child, or are planning on having a second child soon, a double stroller will have a lot to offer your family.
Which double stroller will meet your needs if going to depend on how you intend to use it. Walking on sidewalks is a bit different than jogging local trails, so you want to make sure your double stroller will be up to the challenge.
Looking through all the details can really make the difference if you want to use your stroller for a variety of applications. Convenient and comfortable features for your kids can make all the difference when you are traveling away from home. To help with that, you can check out our important features to consider so you can make a well-informed purchase. But if you need quick answers, we included a quick comparison chart that makes those details easy to digest.
Top Double Stroller Features To Consider
- Weight Capacity – Since two of our kids are soon to cross the 30 pound mark, we need a double stroller that can carry over 50 pounds. And if you intend to use your double stroller like we do, you will probably use if for pretty big kids. Some of the best double strollers have fairly significant weight limits ranging up to 100 pounds. Now, that’s no easy task to push around 100 pounds, but if you want to provide a ride to your kids, the top double strollers can get you there.
- Sun Protection – Keeping the hot sun off your loved ones does more than just keep them cool. It also helps to reduce the risks of cancer later in life from excessive exposure to damaging UV rays and sunburn. Sun canopies are nearly standard features on today’s strollers, but sun canopies are not necessarily providing great protection just because they offer shade. You should check out the UPF value of your stroller’s sun canopy to best ascertain the true level of sun protection.
- Smooth Ride – Whether you are on the sidewalk, or on the trail, we highly recommend air filled tires for your double stroller. There is no getting around the benefits provided by the large bicycle-style tires on today’s double strollers. Compared to smaller rubber or plastic or tires, air filled tires will far and away out-perform and provide a much smoother ride. Add in a basic suspension system and you have a nice high quality double stroller.
- Car Seat Compatible – Some strollers are manufactured with car seat compatibility in mind, and double strollers are no different. While one stroller might accept a few specific car seat models, others are designed to be fit with an adapter, which can provide for a wider range of car seat compatibility.
- Stroller Weight – Double strollers aren’t small items, and loading them in and out of a vehicle can be a challenge, particularly some of the bulkier models. The models we reviewed ranged from 19-35 pounds, but most were over 30 pounds and varied in size once folded. For more details, check out our comparison chart and the full reviews below.
Top Double Strollers Comparison Chart
Best Double Strollers For Toddlers
When BOB Revolution was designing the Flex Duallie 2.0 jogging stroller, they aimed to create something that would allow active parents to get fit at the same time as taking care of their kids. As you might imagine, the demands of creating a stroller go well beyond creating something that can transport infants safety at speed. It also needs to come with a plethora of features that add convenience, comfort, and practicality, just like a regular stroller.
So what does the BOB Revolution offer? The first innovation is the so-called “peek and chat window” in the canopy section. This window allows you to look down at your child from above to see what they’re doing, how they’re feeling, and whether they’re still there! It’s essentially just a plastic mesh that sits on the rear-facing side of the sunshade, letting you see what your kids are up to, even while you’re pushing.
BOB also wanted to make the Revolution Flex a practical buggy and so it offers plenty of pockets and magnet closures. These storage spaces make it easy to transport baby stuff on the go, like bottles, toys, nappies, and whatever else you need.
Your kids will love this stroller too. Not only do they benefit from your expertise as a chauffeur, but they also get padded compression seating, making it the perfect double kids stroller for all-day comfort. The buggy has a 50 lb weight limit, which you must abide by. If you attempt to go heavier than this, you’ll run into suspension issues the moment one of your children hangs over the side.
Ideally, this stroller is for active parents who have more than one child. The buggy is large, but the single wheel at the front makes it surprisingly agile, whether you’re at the park or the mall.
Here is a great video on the BOB Revolution Flex Duallie:
- Fit: Birth to 50 pounds each seat; 0 to 8 weeks with the use of an Infant Car Seat Adapter & compatible Infant Car Seat; child height 44 inches; Dimensions 30.5 W x 43 H x 48 D inches
- Smooth; speedy stability: Locking swivel front wheel; air filled tires; and mountain bike style suspension system
- Adjustable & Safe: 9 position adjustable handlebar with wrist strap; no rethread 5 point harness; independent near flat recline; ventilated seats; and extra large UPF 50 plus canopies
- Carry more Gear: Store and organize your gear in the integrated pockets and extra large cargo basket
- Travel system ready: Compatible with a BOB or Britax Infant Car Seat when using the BOB Duallie Infant Car Seat Adapter (sold separately)
Chicco Cortina takes a different approach to the problem of fitting two children into a single buggy. Instead of lining them up side by side, like the BOB Revolution, it places one child behind the other, making the entire stroller longer and narrower.
Of course, there are advantages and disadvantages to this approach. The main advantage is the fact that you’re able to navigate narrower gaps than you are with a regular two-seater. The Chicco Cortina Together Double Stroller for twins is just 23.5 inches wide. The length also means that each toddler has more room to stretch out and relax and is mostly unaware of the presence of the other – which might be a good thing in some families!
The downside is that the visibility of the front child is lower than it would be in a side-by-side setup when the canopy is up. However, even with it in place, the translucent mesh finish and the cut out sides mean that you’re never really out of contact with your child.
On the practicality front, the Chicco Cortina excels. The buggy comes with a large storage bag that fits on the underside of the carriage between the wheels, providing ample space for all your supplies. What’s more, the stroller can adapt as your children get older. The instructions show you how to set it up for two infants, infant and toddler, or two older children. It also provides guidelines on how to use the accessibility basket and fold it up compactly for transport.
Thus, in a sense, the Chicco Cortina is a do-it-all buggy, capable of being the only stroller you need in your arsenal. You can use it through practically all of the early stages of life without needing to either replace or upgrade it with something more significant.
Just as with the other buggies that we’ve seen, Joovy’s goal with its Scooter X2 is twofold: to provide convenience for parents and comfort for kids.
On the convenience front, the Joovy excels. While it uses a side-by-side design for two toddlers, it gets in underneath the critical 30-inch width, meaning that you can push it through regular doors. Furthermore, it comes with a range of quality-of-life features for parents, such as large wheels that effortlessly glide over curbs and ample storage for books, toys, and baby changing. Plus, the zippered pockets and the “humungous storage basket” prevent you from having to carry around additional bags everywhere you go.
On the comfort front, Joovy also does a good job, despite the remarkably low price point of the stroller. It features what the company called an “oversized canopy,” providing additional sun protection and helping to keep babies cool. Just like the BOB, it features a peek-a-boo window, allowing parents to keep a keen eye on their little ones while pushing.
Perhaps the leading benefit of this stroller, though, is the affordability. Joovy knows that new parents often face vast expenses, but it doesn’t believe that they need to pay over the odds for a buggy. The company proves that it’s possible to provide children with something comfortable and practical without having to shell out vast sums of money.
The Joovy Scooter X2 doesn’t look like the most nimble stroller on the market, thanks to its set of four large wheels, two at the front and two at the back. But the company has worked hard to ensure that each wheel is as agile as possible, reducing the turning circle of the buggy to zero. In other words, it’ll turn on a dime, providing parents with some much-needed flexibility when trying to navigate busy areas.
The Baby Trend Expedition Double Jogger Stroller is perhaps the sportiest of all of the double strollers for jogging in this review. Everything from the choice of colors to the enormous, spoked wheels screams adventure!
Baby Trend market their Expedition stroller for children weighing less than fifty pounds and under 42 inches tall. You strap toddlers into the stroller using harnesses that look like they come from a track car. The front 12-inch wheels and rear 16-inch wheels come with rubber tyes and will roll over all but the harshest terrain, allowing you to venture off the pavement and onto dirt tracks if the mood takes you. The large wheels create a shallower angle with objects on the ground, providing a far more comfortable ride for any children on board.
The Expedition Double Jogger Stroller isn’t just for race day, though. It’s a practical buggy that is designed to slot right into your busy life with a minimum of fuss.
Take the folding mechanism, for instance. The entire buggy is suspended from a rigid aluminum frame. To fold it up for storage, just unclip the locks and then push it together. There’s no need to remove any parts or do any complicated fiddling.
Baby Trend also includes what they call a “convenience” section for parents, providing a drinks holder and covered storage compartment. You don’t get as much space as some of the other strollers on the market, but there is still plenty of room for storing toys, books, and the rest of your paraphrenia.
The Expedition Double Jogger, therefore, is primarily for minimalistic parents who want to take their pushchairs off-road – with their children safely strapped in, of course.
- Designed for children from 6 months-50 lbs (each child) and no more than 42" Tall
- Multi-position seat recline with 5-point safety harness
- 16" rear and 12" front all-terrain, rubber pneumatic bicycle tires
- Locking front swivel wheels with foot-activated rear brake system and quick and easy compact fold
- Large storage basket and covered storage compartment and Parent tray with 2 cup holders
In some parts of the world, the weather is unkind to parents. You pack everything into the car, ready for an adventure at the beach or park, only to find that it’s a washout on arrival.
ZOE, however, has you covered – literally. The XL2 Double Stroller for infant and toddler features a large canopy that folds over your children’s bodies, including their legs, keeping them out of the rain if you happen to get caught in a downpour. The unique material ensures that the rain beads off harmlessly to the ground, preventing your little ones from getting cold and damp.
What’s interesting about the XL2, however, is that Zoe doesn’t consider the ability to withstand poor weather as the main selling point. Instead, it’s the lightweight convenience that it offers.
Most strollers on the market today are large, sophisticated contraptions that feature over-sized wheels, suspension systems, and lots of padding. It all adds to the weight and makes them challenging to transport around. Zoe, however, claims to have solved this problem. The XL2 weighs in at an impressive 19 pounds – almost unheard of for a double stroller. What’s more, the company claims that when folded away, the stroller can fit inside a rucksack, providing the ultimate convenience if you decide to go on a long walk and need a backup option for the kids. It’ll need to be a large rucksack, but the claim isn’t untrue.
Despite the lightweight nature of the stroller, it comes with all of the standard features, including magnetic peek-a-boo window and covers, cup holders, and pockets for keys, phones, and the rest of your items.
Ultimately, this buggy is for parents who want something lightweight and easy to transport. Few strollers let you “have it all,” but the Zoe XL2 is certainly a contender.
- LIGHTWEIGHT – The ultimate UPF 50+ everyday twin stroller system for ages 3 months or older that is ready for your family. It can grow from a double to a triple or quad with an expandable tandem add-on seat, meaning your family can grow without needing to buy another stroller.
- CONVENIENT – Keep snacks and drinks where you need them with one child snack cup, two child cup holders, and one parent cup holder. The elastic storage basket can carry even more, including toys and diapers.
- COLLAPSE AND FOLD – This high grade convenience stroller for two kids is Disney approved and can fit children from newborns up to 50 pounds in each seat. The simple collapse and fold only takes seconds and results in a very compact fold.
- HUGE CANOPIES – Your children can relax side by side in luxury with their own independent industry-best 4-panel canopy, deep recline seat, color-matching padded harness strap covers, and double belly bar included.
- EASY FOR TRAVEL – With a tall handle, extra kickspace, magnetic peekaboo windows, and oversized standard wheels, this deluxe double stroller can handle anything whether you’re in the city or on the trail.