Disclaimer: We may receive a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.
Best Crib Mattresses For 2019 Reviewed
Sleep is likely to be one of the things on pretty much any new parent’s mind. A new baby spends the vast majority of their time asleep, though it’s likely that you’ll feel as though they’re keeping you awake all night long.
If you value your own sleep, then you need to be sure that they have the safest and most comfortable place to sleep possible. But trying to figure out what is the best baby mattress can be something of a challenge.
The facts and figures are all incredibly valuable, but there’s no real substitute for the first-hand experience.
One of the most important things that you can do is to talk with experienced parents, or even better, actually test out a mattress before putting your baby down to sleep in it. Being able to actually touch and feel a crib mattress is essential to really get a sense of whether or not it’s suitable for your baby.
With that in mind, here are five of the best crib mattresses reviewed so that you can figure out which one is right for your little one.
Top Crib Mattresses Features
- Organic – Mattress fillings as well as coverings can cause adverse reactions when they are manufactured with unhealthy materials. Oftentimes potential allergies and associated reactions are found by chance through an accidental exposure that makes the allergy known. An organic hypoallergenic crib mattress can help your baby avoid accidental reactions that might cause difficulties with breathing or unexpected skin reactions.
- Versatile – Firm surfaces are highly recommended by pediatricians for newborns and infants. But as your little one transitions into a toddler, they’ll sleep much better on a relatively softer crib mattress. That’s why today’s best crib mattress designs provide a firm side from infants and a softer side for toddlers. These smart designs keep your child more comfortable while also saving you some dough.
- Easy Cleaning – Accidents happen, and sometimes big accidents happen. The ability to clean your baby’s crib mattress really well can make all the difference. Some of the best crib mattress designs go as far as being able to unzip the outer cover and wash the entire core when needed. Features like that can make the difference between just cleaning the crib mattress you have, or being forced to make another purchase.
- Waterproof – Almost every crib and toddler mattress is bound to be on the receiving end of an accidental wet bed. These things are to be expected. But if you can avoid the lingering odors, stains, and soiling, it seems like a much better option. Waterproof crib mattresses are not all the same. Some have waterproof coverings, while others are completely waterproof in that the core will not absorb liquids and is washable.
- Chemical Free – Natural and green materials are known to be more accommodating and considerate of your baby’s health. A chemical free mattress will have far fewer potential risks than those manufactures with chemicals like latex, PU Foam, soy, vinyl/PVC, phthalates, formaldehyde.
- Breathable – This is really an important feature if your baby has started to roll and sleep on their tummy. Crib mattresses that are specifically designed to allow better airflow will provide for easier breathing when your little one rolls. A breathable crib mattress can also keep your baby from overheating in warmer climates.
Top Crib Mattress Comparison Chart
Best Crib Mattresses
The Naturepedic Organic Crib mattress is designed to provide a great balance between comfort and durability for your baby and ease of use for you as a parent.
With Naturepedic’s patented sugarcane Wavesupport lightweight technology and layers of cotton batting, this mattress offers added levels of firmness and comfort allowing your little one to sleep soundly without sacrificing their safety.
It’s all too common for a lot of baby mattresses to be made with harmful chemicals like flame retardants, latex, vinyl/PVC, phthalates, and even formaldehyde. However, the Naturepedic Organic Crib Mattress fully certified organic by GOTS & GREENGUARD.
The organic fabric and filling mean that it’s safe for your baby which is going to help you get a far more restful night’s sleep as well. Far too often the peace of mind of you as a parent gets ignored but if you can feel secure that your baby is getting the best and safest night’s sleep possible, that’s going to help you feel far happier and more relaxed.
The entire surface of the mattress if fully waterproof which makes cleaning up any accidents or spills a breeze. In fact, the surface of the mattress is so pure it’s even food safe!
One of the most common problems with a lot of mattresses is having to deal with the weight. After all, trying to either move a mattress or even just change the sheets can be a real chore when it’s incredibly heavy.
The Naturepedic Organic Crib Mattress is designed to be as lightweight as possible and the crib mattress dimensions are built to fit snugly in all standard sized cribs. This means that not only is it incredibly easy to change the sheets on this mattress, but if you find yourself needing to move it from one place to the other, you’re don’t have to worry about hurting yourself trying to carry it.
- CERTIFIED ORGANIC: Organic cotton fabric and filling. Certified by GOTS & GREENGUARD for non-toxic sleep. Safe for Infant.
- BREATHABLE: 3D mesh surface allows baby to breathe while face down. Luxurious quilted surface layer can be removed and is machine washable.
- WATERPROOF CORE: Can be used as a standalone crib mattress when cover is in the wash. Wipe-clean waterproof surface and seams. Lightweight - easy to change sheets
- NO HARMFUL CHEMICALS: No Flame retardants, latex, PU Foam, soy, vinyl/PVC, phthalates, formaldehyde. Hypoallergenic, green, and natural.
- USA-MADE: Made in the USA with domestic and imported fabrics and components; lifetime limited warranty. Safety is our first priority at Naturepedic. Bedding accessories and sheets not included. Fits standard size cribs, cot, infant beds and nursery furniture. 27-1/4 x 51-5/8 x 6 (inch).
Making sure that your baby is safe in their crib while they’re sleeping is always going to be right at the top of your list of priorities. The risks of things like suffocation are incredibly low but they will always be something that any parent is aware of.
That’s why the best baby mattress is one that can ensure their safety no matter what. The Newton Baby Crib Mattress and Toddler Bed uses an innovative Breathe-Thru Technology that allows air to flow freely through the mattress and has been shown to reduce the risk of things like suffocation and CO2 breathing.
This is especially valuable if your little one happens to roll over a lot in the night and enjoys sleeping on their belly. If you press your own face up to this mattress you’ll be amazed to find that you can still breathe perfectly well!
The mattress is also hypoallergenic, made without any harmful ingredients like foam or latex, and pediatrician recommended so you can be sure that it’s a great choice for your baby’s health, safety, and development.
Of course, you also want to be sure that your baby can get the best and most comfortable night’s sleep possible. Something that is made extremely easy thanks to the Newton Baby Crib Mattress and Toddler Bed’s ability to regulate your baby’s temperature. This helps to avoid overheating and stops them from waking up sweaty and uncomfortable in the night.
Letting them sleep as deeply and peacefully as possible, something that’s just as valuable to you as it is to your little one.
Because this mattress is designed for both infants and toddlers, it makes perfect sense that it’s built to last. The Newton Baby Crib Mattress and Toddler Bed is durable and long-lasting as well as being 100% washable at home, so you don’t have to worry if your baby ends up having a pretty big accident while they’re sleeping.
- SAFETY: Our innovative Breathe-Thru Technology allows air to flow freely and is independently proven to reduce the risk of suffocation and CO2 rebreathing, even when your baby starts to roll over at night.
- COMFORT: Temperature regulating to prevent overheating, eliminate sweaty backs and improve sleep quality.
- LONG-LASTING, 2-STAGE & WASHABLE: Designed for both infants and toddlers and 100% washable at home.
- PEDIATRICIAN RECOMMENDED: For your baby’s health, safety, and development. Hypoallergenic. Winner of numerous awards.
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED FOR LOWEST EMISSIONS: Lowest VOCs, contains no foam, latex, springs, glue, or allergens. 100% recyclable. Proudly made in the USA.
There are few things more frustrating than when your little one outgrows their mattress and you end up having to get something entirely new. That’s one of the main benefits of the Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer Crib Mattress.
With it’s Dual Side Sleep System, the Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer Crib Mattress uses a two-stage sleep that adapts to your child as they grow.
One use is an extra firm, eco-friendly, plant-based foam layer that’s perfect for keeping your baby safe when they’re very young. While the other side uses soft plush fabric to make it as comfortable as possible for your toddler.
Both sides have been fully performance tested for performance, safety and durability so you can be sure that, whatever age your little one is, they’re sure to get the perfect night’s sleep.
The fabric of the mattress is fully waterproof and hypoallergenic which makes cleaning it incredibly easy. If you have ever needed to replace your baby’s crib mattress due to accidents then you know how valuable this feature is.
A fully waterproof and hypoallergenic crib mattress can prevent the need for replacement in the near future.
While the extra tight, SafeSewn seams make sure that both sides are fully dust mite and bed bug resistant, ensuring you don’t have to worry about anything disturbing your baby’s slumber.
- Vinyl, polyethylene and PVC free, phthalates and lead free, non-toxic waterproof, durable nylon cove
- Extra firm high density foam infant side, firm high density foam toddler side, foam with CertiPUR certification
- Side stitched seams, waterproof, hypoallergenic
- Treated with ultra fresh for antimicrobial protection, easily cleaned with damp sponge
- MADE IN USA AND GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED. Like every other Moonlight Slumber product, our Little Dreamer is made in the USA and proudly bears GreenGuard Gold Certification
The Colgate Eco Classica III Crib Mattress also offers the versatility that you really need as your child grows thanks to a Dual Firmness design with one side being extra firm and engineered specially to give your baby all the support that they need during those early stages of development.
A baby needs a mattress that is as flat and even as possible. You might find it a little harder but it’s exactly what your baby needs to get a comfortable and safe night’s sleep.
While the other side is softer and more comfortable for them as they grow into toddlers and start to require the same kind of sleep quality that you need without sacrificing durability or safety.
This 6″ orthopedic mattress is designed with the needs of your child in mind as they grow and can help to ensure that they are getting the best night’s sleep possible so that you can do the same.
The organic cotton cover on this mattress is waterproof backed which has the added benefit of not only protecting the mattress but it ensures that your baby’s skin is only ever in contact with the soft cotton. This feature is fantastic when trying to avoid sacrificing comfort for practicality, something that can be surprisingly difficult.
- 2- STAGE DUAL-FIRMNESS FOR INFANTS & TODDLERS - The extra firm side is engineered to provide the firmness infants need for proper support and development, while the less firm side provides the comfort toddlers prefer.
- COMFORTABLE: With an ultra-soft waterproof cover, the eco-friendly crib and toddler mattress is wrapped snugly inside an ultra-soft certified organic cotton cover, which is waterproof-backed to ensure the mattress stays dry while the baby's skin remains closest to organic cotton.
- SAFE: The Eco Classica III is GREENGUARD Gold, and CertiPUR-US certified, CPSIA compliant, and compliant with all federal and state flammability requirements.
- DURABLE: The Eco Classica III is designed to last through the infant and toddler years, with inverted seams for extra durability
- PROUDLY MADE IN AMERICA: The Eco Classica III is a 6-inch-thick orthopedic crib mattress designed for most standard American cribs and toddler beds. This crib mattress is approximately 51.63” long, 27.25” wide and 6” thick
The Beautyrest Beginnings Sleepy Whispers Crib Mattress is designed to make sure that you’re always able to put your baby’s safety at the top of your list of priorities. The non-toxic construction is entirely free from any harmful chemicals and materials so you can always feel confident that your child is getting the best and safest night’s sleep possible.
The Beautyrest Beginnings Sleepy Whispers Crib Mattress is yet another crib mattress that uses a dual-sided design to provide added versatility, longevity, and value for money.
Featuring 231 Luxury Pocketed Coil Springs, this mattress provides all of the support and firmness that a young baby needs in order to sleep safely and soundly while the other side has an additional foam layer that provides added comfort as they start to get older. This means that you can rest easy knowing that this mattress will take care of your child all the way from their crib to a bed!
The woven cover on this crib mattress is fully waterproof to make for easy cleaning and it also features reinforced border protection and corner protection that provides a great deal of added stability for the sake of your baby’s comfort and added durability to help ensure that it lasts for as long as possible.
The Beautyrest Beginnings Sleepy Whispers Crib Mattress has also been recognized as GREENGUARD Gold certified which recognizes it as a product that contributes to a healthier environment thanks to low chemical emissions. It is also made without any harmful chemicals like PDBE fire retardants, lead, or formaldehyde.
- WE PUT BABY’S SAFETY FIRST: Non-toxic construction is free from harmful materials/chemicals
- DUAL SIDED DESIGN FOR INFANTS AND TODDLERS: 231 pocketed coils deliver balanced support and the firmness level infants need | The toddler side features an additional layer of foam for enhanced comfort
- WATERPROOF FOR EASY CLEANING: Woven cover is waterproof | Reinforced border protection and corner protectors provide stability throughout the mattress
- GREENGUARD Gold certified: recognizes products with low chemical emissions, contributing to healthier environments | CertiPUR-US certified: made without PBDE fire retardants, lead, formaldehyde and other harmful materials
- MORE IMPORTANT INFO: Mattress comes with limited lifetime warranty | Made in USA | SIZE: 27.5"W x 52"L x <6"H (fits standard cribs and toddler beds)