We love going out to dinner…but honestly who doesn’t! We love Rumbi’s because it is quicker then a restaurant but classier then the a fast food restaurant. Plus with a 1 year old we only have about 20 minutes to eat before he is ready to start running for the door.
There is just something about not having to worry about what to make for dinner. I don’t have to worry about going to the grocery store and again with toddler sometimes that can be nightmare. I don’t have to cleaning it up. Because if your like me I put off emptying the dishwasher all day and now I have both sided of the sink full of dirty dishes.
Well in the real world I wish I could afford to go out to dinner every night, but since we are unable to do that we have to go ahead and make some copycat recipes instead. My mom came across this recipe awhile back and she told me made again recently and that it was really good. So I thought why not add to our families menu for the month.
I’m so glad I did because it seriously it the spot!
- 2-3 chicken breasts
- 1-2 broccoli florets, chopped
- 1-2 carrots, shredded
- 1 cup zucchini, chopped
- 1-2 green onions, chopped
- 1 Tbsp EVOO
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 4 cups water
- Favorite Teriyaki sauce or homemade sauce
- ¼ cup soy sauce, reduced sodium
- 1 cup water
- ½ tsp ginger powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- Mix all above together in sauce pan and heat it up. In a separate bowl add ¼ cup water and 2 Tbsp cornstarch. When sauce is boiling add cornstarch mixture to sauce and stir until thickens. If to thick add a little bit of water. (I usually double recipe)
- I like to marinate my chicken for a few hours prior to grilling, add half the teriyaki sauce to chicken and set aside.
- In your rice cooker, cook rice and water together according to package. Grill your chicken until juices run clear. Let rest while you cook your vegetables then slice chicken into small chunks.
- Wash and chop all your vegetables. In a frying pan add 1 Tbsp EVOO and add vegetables and lightly cook them for 3 minutes, you want them soft but still crisp.
- In a bowl add the rice, vegetables, chicken and then drizzle in Teriyaki sauce and sprinkle some green onion on top.