Like an Italian version of Chicken Cordon Bleu, these Italian Chicken Roll-Ups are a true crowd pleaser! Thinly sliced chicken breasts are stuffed with ham and provolone cheese and rolled in seasoned breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese for an easy, make-ahead weeknight dinner.
Hi there, friends! I’m glad to be visiting again from The Seasoned Mom for my final guest post on Brittany’s blog. I’ve had fun sharing some of our family’s favorite recipes with you and I hope that you’ve had an opportunity to give some of them a try!
This meal was definitely another winner in our house. Since Italian food is one of our favorite cuisines, I thought that it would be fun to create a twist on another popular classic: Chicken Cordon Bleu. These roll-ups are delicious served alongside some pasta and marinara sauce. And, just like most of the recipes I serve, they can be prepped in advance and then baked when your crew is hungry. If necessary, you could even keep them in the freezer before baking them. Prepare dinner on the weekend and enjoy it on a busy weeknight down the road!
Since the recipe uses 2 pounds of meat, our family had some leftovers to enjoy the next day. We sliced the remaining roll-ups and devoured them in sandwiches! Need a leftover dinner idea? Grab two thick slices of garlic bread (the frozen kind works great!), stuff some sliced Italian Chicken Roll-Ups inside, and spread with marinara sauce. Top with a little bit of extra provolone or mozzarella cheese, warm the whole sandwich in the oven, and dinner is served.
I love when I can make one recipe and get two different meals from the effort!
- 2 lbs. thinly sliced chicken breasts (or regular chicken breasts that have been pounded to ¼-inch thickness)
- 6 thin slices deli ham or prosciutto
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- ⅔ cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley (or 1-2 tablespoons of dried parsley flakes)
- ½ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, combine breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, and parsley. Pour milk into a separate bowl.
- Place a slice of ham and a slice of provolone cheese on each chicken breast. Depending on the size of your ham and cheese slices, you may need to trim them or cut them in half so that they are not hanging too far out of the roll-up.
- Roll up chicken and secure with toothpicks.
- Dip chicken rolls in milk, then roll in crumb mixture.
- Place roll-ups seam-side down on prepared baking sheet.
- Lightly spray chicken with cooking spray (this will help it turn golden brown!).
- Bake, uncovered, for about 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove toothpicks and serve!