I love having a garden!
I love all the fresh produce you can get and I love making salsa’s and pico de gallo or just having a fresh garden tomato to put on my salad, hamburger or even tacos. But if your like me we get tons of tomatoes all at once and we can not eat them fast enough. So a few years back I started canning whole tomatoes to put in my food pantry. We use the tomatoes for soups or even to make salsa. Not only does it help save your family money but its fun to help preserve the produce that you grew and to be able to enjoy it all year long.
- 24-30 Roma tomatoes, i like roma's cause they are meatier then most tomatoes
- 1 large can Tomato juice or you can use water
- lemon juice
- 6-8 canning jars
- 1. First you need to wash and sanitize your jars and lids. You do have to make sure you have new lids, they are not resealable. I do this by washing them in the dishwasher on hot.
- 2. We need to peel the skins off our tomatoes. I do this by boiling them in hot water for about 40 seconds.
- 3. When you are done boiling you need to add the tomatoes immediately into an ice bath and let sit for 1 minute. This helps the the skins to crack and easy to remove
- 4. Use a knife to help you to remove the skins.
- 5. Next we place the peeled tomatoes in our clean jars. I used quart size and I can fit about 4-5 tomatoes in each jar. For the quart size jar you need to add 2 Tbsp of lemon juice to each jar
- 6. After you added the lemon juice you can either use tomato juice or water and fill just below the mouth of each jar.
- 7. Next you need to use a clean cloth and clean the rim of the jars very well not trying to touch it afterward. Very careful place the lids on each jar trying not to touch the inside, I usually use tongs. Very gently add on the lids and twist but not super tight.
- 8. Place jars in a boiling water bath and submerge, making sure there is plenty of water to cover the tops. Place lid on top and let boil for about 50 minutes, checking every once in a while to make sure there is plenty of water covering jars Remove from water and let sit on counter. The lids will start popping if they haven't already. After about ten minutes press down on the middle of the lids to make sure they are sealed.
- 9. Write the date on top and enjoy.