I was going through my recipe box and I just happen to have came across this recipe for Applebee’s Oriental Chicken Salad. I don’t think I have made this recipe in years and I’m not sure why. Every time we do happen to go to Applebee’s I always order the Oriental Chicken Salad. In my efforts of trying to watch what we eat I made a slight alteration to their version. Instead of frying the chicken I simply baked it cutting back a lot of calories. It’s amazing what a little modification can do to your waste line. In doing this I still think this recipe had amazing flavor and my husband never even noticed that it was not fried. Of course I made no huge altercation to the dressing because that would be sinful. I love this salad dressing!!! I actually just make the dressing often and toss it on salads, it’s that good.
Healthy Copycat Applebee’s Oriental Chicken Salad
- 1 head of romaine, chopped
- ½ head cabbage, chopped
- 2-3 carrots, shredded or julienne
- Slivered Almonds
- Chow Mein Noodles
- Green Onion, Optional
- This is were I made the alteration. You can either bake or fry the chicken, I baked
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 2-3 chicken breasts
- ½ corn flakes, shhh I used bran flakes
- ½ cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 3 Tbsp Honey
- 1½ Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- ¼ cup light mayo
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- ⅛ tsp Sesame Oil
- Wash and chopped your lettuce, cabbage, carrots and green onion and place in a big bowl. Add your almonds and chow mein noodles, and set aside.
- Mix egg and milk together in a bowl. In a separate bowl add the flour, salt and pepper. On a plate lay out your flakes and crumble. I like to pound my chicken out so its even throughout. Dip your chicken in the egg, dip in flour and roll around in the bread crumbs. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until juices run clear. When done let the chicken rest for 3 minutes and the slice.
- While your chicken is cooking. In a small bowl add your honey, rice wine vinegar, mayo, mustard and sesame oil and whisk together until combined.
- Place the chicken and dressing with the bowl of lettuce and toss until evenly coated and enjoy!