I found this gem of recipe over at our Weekend Retreat Link Party. This amazing Chicken Suizas Enchilada Casserole is from the wonderful Krista over at Joyful Healthy Eats. I knew right away that I need to give it a try because well, for one it involves corn tortillas and who doesn’t love a quick dinner that you can make into a casserole. She was on to something with this genius idea.
Nowadays I’m all about convenience! Between chasing my kid around, laundry, play dates and grocery shopping I need simple. I often times make dinner during nap time and then I love being able to pull it out and place in the oven when its time to get dinner started.
This Chicken Suizas Enchilada Casserole is simple, fantastic and perfect for any night of the week. I loved it and even the husband loved even though he hates corn tortillas. Even my 1.5 year old took a few bites.
Each layer of corn tortilla is smothered in Suizas Enchilada Sauce and chicken and repeated and smothered in cheese for the ultimate flavor with each bite. To make it even better you can top it off with some sour cream, fresh pico de gallo and sliced avocado’s.
- 1 pound chicken, cooked and shredded
- 15 corn tortillas
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- ¼ tsp coriander
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2- 4oz cans green chilies
- 5 oz plain greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp flour/cornstarch
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Cook and shred chicken. On medium heat cook onions in oil until translucent; next add garlic cloves. Add in coriander, cumin, salt and pepper. Next add in chicken stock and green chilies; bring to a boil and simmer for about 3-5 minutes. Add in greek yogurt and flour and whisk until combined. Let simmer for 5 additional minutes or until thickened. In a greased 13x9 add a little sauce to the bottom of the dish. Start layering your casserole with corn tortillas, suiza sauce and chicken and repeat. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and add mozzarella cheese and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream, pico de gallo and avocado.