Hi, Mommy on Demand readers. This is Allison again, back with another recipe to satisfy your sweet tooth. Today I have a delicious (and simple!) Apple Snack Cake for you.
I love when cakes are titled “snack cakes” or “coffee cakes.” To me, that means that they can be consumed for breakfast, as a snack, or dessert. And I’m pretty much always looking for a chance to eat cake for breakfast. 😉
The versatility of this apple cake makes it a great choice if you’re hosting guests this holiday season. It is made in only one bowl, has a fairly small ingredient list, and you can serve it for breakfast or dessert, or leave it out on the counter to snack on all throughout the day. It’s filled with the comforting flavors of apple and cinnamon, with crushed cinnamon graham crackers used in place of flour. The graham crackers lend a great texture, and give a very slight graham cracker flavor to the cake.
I topped slices of this cake with homemade cinnamon whipped cream. It’s a simple addition that takes this cake over the top. Homemade whipped cream is unbelievably easy – just a few ingredients, one step, and you’re done! Top the slices of cake with whipped cream right before serving. Grab a fork and enjoy!
- 3 eggs
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 14 cinnamon graham crackers, finely crushed into crumbs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- ⅔ cup chilled heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- In a large bowl,whisk eggs and vanilla extract. Add sugar and butter and whisk until combined. Using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir in graham cracker crumbs, cinnamon, and apple, mixing until blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- With a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat all ingredients on high speed for several minutes until soft peaks form. Serve whipped cream over the top of each slice of cake. Dust with additional cinnamon, if desired.
Recipe contributed by Allison from Celebrating Sweets